From: "Dora Smith" <>
Subject: [DNA] Geography question on the Ukraine and the Balkans
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 10:45:58 -0500

I finally found a good clear atlas. I have enough historical atlases but
they tend to be unclear when it comes to both modern countries and regional
names, and putting the geographical featuers together with the geography.
"The Times Family Atlas of the World". When one also uses the atlas at the
back of "The Atlas of Archaeology" by Mick Aston and Tim Taylor, one has
information that makes sense.

Now this matters. The Ukrainian ice age refugia were north of the Black
Sea, not west of it, and the Balkan ice age refugia may have been immediate
west of it instead of in Greece. If the Ukrainian ice age refugia were
north of the Black Sea and the Balkan ice age refugia were west of the Black
Sea instead of somewhere in northern Greece or Yugoslavia, they were
logically really a single area and not two separate areas, and that indeed
is how they are often discussed. If that were true, their genetic markers
should be similar and not different, and it's also hard to see how much
different the genetic markers of the Caucasus region immediately to the east
would be.

The Caucasus region is defined by the Caucasus Mountains, now, right - or
not?

I now understand that "the Ukraine" consistently means the area north of the
Black Sea, not west of it where the Danube River is as I had thought. What
is more, Ukrainian archeological sites are consistently located north of the
Black Sea and not west of it.

West of the Ukraine is the Balkan Mountains, which I thought were
immediately north of Greece. Other mountains are immediately north of
Greece.

But isn't "the Balkan region" all of that area between northern Greece and
the Black Sea? Most or all of what is now Yugoslavia, Albania, Romania,
and Bulgaria?

Actually, I thought that Yugoslavia was "the Balkan region".

Yugoslavia appears to be pretty much taken up with something called the
Dinaric Alps. In the North it is occupied by part of the Hungarian Plain.
The Rodope and Balkan Mountains, which appear to be twin mountain ranges,
are in Bulgaria. To the north the Danube River valley runs between the
narrow little Balkan mountain range and the giant semicircular Carpathian
mountains, which surround the Hungarian Plain and appears to pretty much set
off Romania.

At http://www.geographic.org/maps/balkan_region_maps.html, some maps depict
the Balkan rgion as the entire region from Yugoslavia to the Black Sea, and
others depict the Balkan Region as Yugoslavia, leaving the Balkan Mountains
out entirely because they're in Bulgaria.

Do the Ural Mountains separate central Russia from "Siberia"?

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX

--