From: "Walter S. Gabennesch" <>
Subject: [DNA] Family Slaves
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 17:45:42 -0400

Concerning my private Email that was posted (it wasn't the first one); I was surprised, but no harm no foul. I think I should clear some things up.

My ancestors from Laurel Co. Eastern Ky., that I spoke of were on my mother's side, they were Watkins, Templin, Eutsler, Moore and Graham. All were abolitionists. My Watkins grandmother was a Fraser, Mantooth and Pharis from Tennessee and western Va. My Brown (Braun) ancestors were from Washington Co. NC and fought at Kings Mtn. The Mantooth's were really Mentieths. My mother's side was here for a long time and had nothing to do with slavery.

My great grandpa Sam Templin was a Sergeant in the Third Ky. Inf., Union Army and fought the Confederate invaders at Wildcat Mountain, Richmond and Perryville. He fought with US Grant all the way down the Mississippi River and was "on the charge" May 22, 1863 at Vicksburg, Mississippi (according to his discharge).

My grandpa John Long (Lange) was in the 106th Ohio Infantry, Union Army (Fourth German Regiment) born in Indiana and mustered in near Cincinnati, Ohio. He and his unit were captured at Hartsville, Tennessee by the Confederate Raider, Gen'l John Hunt Morgan. Abe Lincoln was very upset!

My Mantooth Grandma, Lydia Mantooth Fraser from Cocke Co. Tenn., had a brother Frank that served in the Union Cavalry, he was captured and died at Andersonville.

I could go on about the Lester's, Wilms, Spikers and others, but that is enough, if not too much. Oh Yea! I almost forgot grandpa "Great Powhatan" of the Patawomeck Tribe and son Japasaw. Then there was grandma Margaret Drummond and her poor sisters, poisoned you know. Grandpa Tam Dalyell was the "Muscovite Devil".

No one in my family ever owned slaves. It just wasn't economical to do so where they lived. They were all abolitionist. No one in my family owned a plantation, anywhere.

No one in my family was ever a slave, in modern times. I don't know what the Gabennesch's were doing for the last 2000 years. That is what this is all about and I am trying my best to find out. When did they leave Africa? How did they get to Europe? When did they get to Europe?

There was no miscegenation in my Gabennesch family in the USA. They didn't get here until 1849 and went directly to Cincinnati, Ohio. They were tailors by trade in Cincinnati and some in Bining Fr., others there were noted brick masons. Christophe Gabennesch had his E3a Haplogroup when he arrived here. He brought it with him. From what I am learning from the list, and other study's, that probably had been their haplogroup for a long time.

Gabennesch happens to be my surname and Y-Chromosome. Other than that, it is a very small part of my family background. The name is deceptive. The fact that we retired to my wife's home state of NC probably also raises questions. Her Braswell-Carver family came to Va. in 1650 and migrated to NC in 1712.

Walt

This thread: