Subject: Re: [DNA] What the standard for Access after you tested
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:50:33 EDT

In a message dated 10/3/2007 4:57:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> Let look at the facts.
>
> http://www.familytreedna.com/public/bryan/
>
> I am 16 my 4th cousin is 17 what do I do about 18,19,20,21

I don't quite understand. If 18-21 are close matches to you, you'll see them
(and their e-mail addresses) in your personal match reports. If you're
objecting to the fact that 18-21 show no information about the most distant known
ancestor, that's because those individuals haven't filled out the information.

BTW, I'm predisposed to favor public displays of project data. I like to look
at surname projects for all of my ancestral lines, even if I don't have a
cousin in the project. Open projects allow all sorts of observations and
connections, which multiply the value of DNA testing undertaken by individuals.

However, this might be a situation where that saying "Hard cases make bad
laws" applies. I think it's a bad precedent for FTDNA to respond to an individual
project member's request to override the project administrator's settings. I
don't think that FTDNA has any particular obligations to its customers, beyond
analysing the DNA and providing match reports to them as individuals. It
would be impossible for them to monitor all the volunteers who administer projects
-- people who have varying amounts of time, energy and expertise to devote to
their projects. At the very least, you get a discount on testing costs by
being a project member.

Ann Turner

See what's new at http://www.aol.com

This thread: