From: "robert mclaren" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] What the standard for Access after you tested
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 19:22:54 -0400

The Project Administrators vary quite a bit in how they relate to their
members -- and a lot depends upon the size of their projects. I try to
keep up with all my members and send a welcome message when they join. I
do request copies of their genealogies and I do check these against my
files to see if I can provide more information. Once clusters of related
haplotypes form, I do an analysis of the cluster and send members a copy of
that analysis. And, I do interact with members as they have questions.

I have three projects, one with 262 members (all but 4 testing with FTDNA),
one with 1, and one with 1 (tested with Ancestry.com). The projects are
open to all if they meet the criteria for being in a surname project (or in
the large case, a Clan project). Members can withdraw at any time.
Members can join other FTDNA projects without withdrawing from mine. I
know of a number of second projects for the same surname and haven't heard
of FTDNA refusing to set up any if requested.

Yours aye,

Bob McLaren
Chairman, Genealogy Committee, Clan MacLaren Society of North America
Administrator, Clan MacLaren Surname DNA Project (Worldwide)
Administrator, Lindo Surname DNA Project (Worldwide)
Administrator, da Silva Surname DNA Project (Worldwide)
Member, Association of Professional Genealogists

since any member can withdraw from a project. He can then join another
project, although not necessarily at the same firm. FTDNA's policy toward a
second projects within a surname doesn't seem to be fixed. I have heard of
cases where FTDNA wouldn't allow a second project, while others report that
it is common. Nonetheless, it will be easy enough to start a project at
Ancestry and enter the FTDNA data.

> Bob Stafford

This thread: