From: "Dora Smith" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] mtDNA Full Sequence Match
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 12:52:30 -0500

I probably sound negative based on my own experience - but I would think
that maybe a third of mtdna results if that are likely to need the coding
region to get definitive results, and to make sense of any matches.

One can always get HVR1 and maybe HVR2 and decide where to go from there.

I did save money by making the choice that I did. If you end up ordering
the full sequence you will pay the entire $500 price unless you previously
had the deep H clade test done at FTDNA.

Kathy is quite right about the state of research on coding research markers.
Most research used either the coding region or the control region, and only
a couple of large studies combined the two. This makes it hard to know
whether and to what degree sets of control region markers indicate clades
delineated by coding region markers.

For instance, I think that the studies using the control region and the
mtdna databases contain a fair amount of HVR1 haplotypes that look like they
may be Maryanne Dillo's H1a1, but not possible to really know. This is
what a couple of us mean when we say that Maryanne's haplotype may be more
in want of adequate research than truly rare.

It's definitely true that right now people having full sequences done could
double the body of knowledge about full sequence haplotypes. Of course,
now, this depends on people not failing to upload their results to Genbank
because they're afraid of conceivably gaining or sharing medical knowledge
useful to an entire family group.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX