From: "Alister John Marsh" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] New R1b1c SNPs Was: R1b DYS458=14 null439 connection
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 14:40:59 +1300

Rich,

You said

I must say that I never ordered the S68 test. When I saw that the haplotype
of one of the two known S68+ men was quite distant from my own, I figured it

was better not to send good money to chase after bad.

I understand that many men have ordered that test, however, and that to date

there are still just two who are positive for S68.
<<<<<<<

At the few markers which the two S68+ have in common, there are sufficient
differences to indicate the clade may be reasonably old. I think until more
is known about it, it can't necessarily be assumed it is a small clade. It
was some time ago that I compared the two S68+ haplotypes, but as I recall,
there were no markers in common which were sufficiently distinctive to help
identify the clade. The Swedish person was testing more markers, but I have
not seen results for those.

At this stage, I don't believe "very" many have tested for S68. John McEwan
only has 3 S68 results on his SNP database. Perhaps he has not been keeping
that up to date. I am S68-, but I am not aware of any publicly readily
accessible results for S68, other than mine and the 3 on the McEwan
database. A few have stated on this list that they are S68-, but I have not
kept a record of them.

Wikipedia says...
"The newest Y-SNP to surface is S68. At present S68 has been seen in an
individual from Scotland and another from Sweden. S68 is unlikely to be
found in much more than 2% of the R1b population and is thus not considered
a polymorphism."
I didn't think that the size of a clade was the criteria for determining if
something was a "polymorphism".

The R1b project does not yet recognize S68+ as a clade as far as I can see.

John.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:03 PM

This thread: