From: "David Wilson" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Ineligible Individuals Placed in my Shetland ProjectWithout My Permission
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 16:00:46 -0800

Concur. I require prospective members of the R1b1c7 project to request
membership rather than have it granted in exchange for a mouse click. If
they have misunderstood the principles controlling membership (some think
that R1b1c7 means "Scots-Irish" for example) I try to point them to a
project that might better achieve their research goals.

For the Wilson surname project, I do not screen members.

David Wilson
R1b1c7 and Wilson Projects Manager

On 11/7/2007 3:41:53 PM, charles () wrote:
> David,
>
> You must have left the front door or skylight open for your project. If
> you
> close the skylight, i.e., disable the parachute in by anyone feature,
> using the
> option in your FTDNA group admin page, they will not be able to join your
>
> project without your permission. That is what I do with almost all my
> projects.
> Especially my very restrictive Pennsylvania Deutsch Project for which all
>
> members must be genealogically pre-screened by me.
>
> Charles Kerchner
> Emmaus PA
> http://www.familytreedna.com/public/pa-deutsch
>

> David Faux wrote:
> >
> > I just checked my Shetland Islands Project list of members and about
> 20 have been parachuted in there without any consultation with me - and
all
> as far as I can see are ineligible. This is very annoying since I must go
> through a process that involves informing people why I am removing them.
> I resent having to do this as my criteria are very clear. All must be
> screened by me to ensure they have Shetland ancestors in the male line.
> Ireland is not close enough. Has this been happening with others?
> >
> > David K. Faux.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:21 AM

This thread: