From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Press release: deCODEme to offer test of a million SNPs
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:46:41 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bonnie Schrack" <>
To: <>
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2007 9:38 AM

> On second reading I do note that Ann stated,
>> Rats! Certain states are limiting consumer access to the /*genetic risk
>> calculations*/ from the genome scan. These are Arizona, California,
>> Connecticut,
>> Georgia, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and
>> Wyoming.
>>

> It sounds like they aren't talking about prohibiting the test itself,
> but about not allowing deCODE to give medical genetic *risk
> calculations*. There may be laws or regulations about requiring all
> medical genetic test results to be accompanied by genetic counseling (by
> a licensed professional).

Did anyone else note the similarity between the attitude of the quoted
"genetic counselors" in the Wade article (which by the way I found very
comprehensive) and the European clergy of 500 years ago who felt that
translating the Bible into common peoples' languages would lead to mass
"misinterpretations" of that sacred text? Power freaks never quit. Ken

This thread: