From: "R. Stevens" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] PLOS Genetics: admixture study of European Americans
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:23:26 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
To: <>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 12:56 PM

> Yes, the Mongol invasion generally replaced Iranic and Tocharian (both
> Indo-European) speakers in west Asia with Turkic speakers, leaving a
> discontinuity:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzbeks
>
> ---
> What drastically changed the demographics of Central Asia was the invasion
> of the Mongols led by Genghis Khan in the 13th century. Numerous native
> populations were wiped out by the Mongols and a process of population
> replacement began in earnest. During this period numerous Turkic tribes
> began to migrate and ultimately replace many of the Iranian peoples who
> were
> largely killed, absorbed by larger Turco-Mongolian groups, and/or pushed
> further south and Central Asia came to be known as Turkestan.

Awhile back I mentioned a recent Russian study that found the Turkic
Bashkirs in the vicinity of Perm and Baimaksky in the Ural-Volga region are
around 75% R1b1c.

I wonder if they represent an older Indo-European-speaking population that
was Turkified or if some of the Turks were just R1b1c all along.

Rich

This thread: