From: <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] New thread: Haplogroup I
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 02:57:31 -0500

Why the admonition to use FireFox? MSIE works fine. I'm sure other browsers
do, too.

I don't agree with a blanket admonition to deep SNP test, mtDNA test, and go to
67 markers. His positive values for M168, M89 and M170 prove he is Haplogroup
I. If his value at DYS455 is 8, it's a virtual certainty he is I1a, in which
case there is very little reason to deep SNP test. Whether he needs to upgrade
to 67 markers, now, depends on the level of matching he is getting, now. As for
mtDNA testing, one's mtDNA haplogroup is an "interesting" thing to know, but it
is very little help in doing one's genealogy, and certainly no help whatsoever
with his patrilineal HEIM genealogy.

If money's no object, sure, test away. But for most of us, funds are limited,
and some selectivity needs to employed. He might be better off testing some
suspected cousins to 12 markers, rather than testing himself to 67.

I do agree that it's worthwhile to transfer his results to FTDNA and to upload
his results to Ysearch.

Diana

This thread: