Subject: [DNA] Inbred lines of humans and the consequences
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 12:38:57 EST

We need a better term to discuss inbred lines. I suppose
we could adopt the terms used for animals, like classifying
humans as being in breeds, but I am sure someone will
throw me in the doghouse for suggesting it.

Speaking of inbred lines, in our local paper this morning
a dying child with Tay Sachs disease was featured on the
front page. The article was more about pediatric care for
dying children but it gives the typical history of a child
born with a recessively inherited disorder from a couple
who had no idea they could have been related genetically:
"Tay-Sachs disease is a genetic condition found almost
exclusively in Eastern European Jews. Larry is Jewish,
but Bea, raised Irish Catholic, had no idea she had a Jewish
grandfather until a year ago. "
_http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_7790978_
(http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_7790978) : Comfort for a
Child's Last Journey.

Now that the personal genomes are less expensive, a
cost effective way to be sure you do not share in such genes
is becoming a reality. Currently, people often do not undergo

genetic testing until they have a child with such problems. It
seems like if you are going invest in an education, or have
your house inspected before you buy it, you would also now
want to make sure you will have healthy children before they
are born. It might also be a good idea to check out
your genealogical histories as thoroughly as possible.
With online research available, more people will now be
researching their own family pedigrees. If any inbreeding
or suspicions of that nature were detected, a person could then
order a deCODEme or 23AndMe test to determine the genetic
makeup and compare it directly with a spouse's results.
Kathy J.