From: "RICHARD KENYON" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Chances for Finding Clade-separating SNP
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 22:00:13 -0800

Isn't it standard procedure to oversample when using any shotgun sequencing technique? Also it is possible (as I understand it) that some of the apparent SNPs are instead sequencing errors. Furthermore, all three genome sequences have been subject to revisions from time to time.
I don't know the real significance of a statement made by Craig Venter. Viz., that both strands of his DNA had been sequenced, while James Watson had only sequenced one strand.

Richard R. Kenyon ("Dick")