From: (John Chandler)
Subject: [DNA] Downloading from Ysearch [was: i1a project vastness.]
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 00:00:40 -0500

John wrote:
> It's very clutsy but it's the only way I can get hold of the 1100+
> I1a results on Ysearch. I list the I1a's then check about 100 of
> them, click compare, a spreadsheet-like array is displayed.

Note that clicking on compare actually generates a URL containing a
list of the IDs you asked to compare. If you want to automate the
procedure you can do the following:

1) copy-and-paste the entire list of IDs/surnames/origins/haplogroups/etc
into a file on your computer
2) use whatever tools you have available to extract just the IDs from
the file you have created
3) split the ID list into sublists of just 100 or so IDs each
4) format each sublist to match the syntax of the Ysearch 'compare' URL
i.e., insert the characters ',+' between each two IDs, and append
the whole thing to the string
'http://www.ysearch.org/research_comparative.asp?uid=&vallist='
5) create an HTML file consisting of the succession of these formatted
lists as URLs, i.e., prepend '<a href="' to each string and append
'</html></body>'
6) point your browser at this file
7) click on each URL in turn, and you will see the corresponding
spreadsheet-like array, just as if you had hand-selected the IDs

John Chandler

This thread: