From: David Faux <>
Subject: [DNA] Lichtenstein Cave and Ancient Y-DNA
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 08:22:09 -0800 (PST)

I don't think that anyone here has yet noted what is without a doubt the very best and most comprehensive ancient DNA study yet completed relating to ancient humans in Europe (surpassing the Eigen Gol Necropolis study in Mongolia). I appologize if this has been noted before.

The 2006 study explores the mtDNA and Y-STR (as well as X-DNA and autosomal DNA) of over 20 skeletons found in the Lichtenstein Cave (within the region of the Jastorf culture, in Lower Saxony). This was apparently a Bronze Age (3000 years ago) family burial site and the author attempts to determine relationships between the individuals who are studied. It is beautifully illustrated with color photos, maps, and tables with complete DNA results.

What is most apparent is the predominance of Y haplogroup I1b2*, but I also notice an obvious R1b1c which is likely S21-R1b1c9 (with DYS390=23). Of particular interest to me is that none are likely S28 - which is what I would expect considering the northern German location.

This work is apparently available only in the form of a Ph.D. thesis, written in German. Nonetheless, it is quite easy to find the charts with the mtDNA and Y-STR information, and a great deal can be inferred even if you don't read German.

Here is the URL: http://tinyurl.com/2kmp6x

This study was located by Hans and is being discussed on the www.dna-forums.org site. He is I1b2*-C and would doubtless be pleased to explore the meaning of these results. I believe that Hans, being from Flanders, speaks German and could answer questions about the contents of this study.

Now if they can find some similar Alpine German samples ..........................

David K. Faux.

This thread: