From: "John E. Mellick" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] The Story of I1b1 (P37.2+)
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 15:54:59 -0500

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 Ken wrote:
>What happened over the 550 generation branch line that goes from the MRCA
>for all of I1b1 to the I1b1-Western founder (MRCA)? Certainly 550
>generations of father to son transitions did not go by with just a single
>son being born each generation. But over that long span of generations,
>all second and third son descendant lines went extinct. This can not be
>known to be exactly true, but is rather what is seen to fractional
>accuracy of a part in several thousand --- the number of y haplogroup I
>haplotypes which have been examined by population studies up until
>now. All P37.2+ haplotypes found so far fall into one of the four
>clusters here discussed. That is not to say that some outlier haplotypes
>won't be found in the future in larger databases showing additional small
>clades of P37.2+, but any such additional clades will be demographically
>marginal.

Ken,
A most interesting analysis of I1b1(P37.2+). But I don't understand what
you said about second and third son's lines going extinct. Do you mean
that 500 generations from now your first son's descendants will carry your
mutations, but all of your second and later son's descendants won't carry
your mutations?
John

This thread: