From: Didier VERNADE <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] reevaluating refugium's theory
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:57:50 +0100 (CET)

OK Lawrence but the main human population at these times in Europe seems to have been gathering in places (such as south west of France) were apparently the food (animals like horses) was abundant enough. It may not have been the case in Balkans.
Here is one link with nice maps. The site is in french but the pdf version allows a nice reading of the maps of all sites throughout Europe :
http://mappemonde.mgm.fr/num11/articles/art06306.html

It's striking that there are little sites in the middle of Spain as well. Again I suspect that it's a question of relation to food.

Didier

> Another point of view comes from animal and plant DNA. This paper finds
> evidence from animal DNA of a Carpathian refugium:
>
> http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1595441
>

> This paper finds evidence from plant DNA of a refugium on the Pannonian
> Plain:
>
> http://www.isem.cnrs.fr/spip.php?article379

This thread: