From: "Tim Janzen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Comparison of deCODEme results for the Y-chromosome ofR1b1c7and R1b1c9 individuals
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 00:56:19 -0800

Dear David,
This is very interesting. Note that Eldon Wade also has the
rs34276300 SNP. Like Watson and Ventor, he is also S21 positive. Thus
those who are S21 positive are batting 3/3 for the rs34276300 SNP. We need
more results within R1b1c (M269+) and R1b1c9 (S21+) to help sort out where
rs34276300 is positioned on the Y SNP tree.
Would the people who shared their Y SNP results with you be willing
to share all of their Y SNP results publicly? It would be helpful if we
could begin to create a public database of these Y SNP results from deCODEme
(as well as 23andMe) so that we can compare results within the various
subclades as more and more data becomes available. Perhaps such Ron Scott
or someone else would be willing to host such a database on their web page.
Can you comment on the fact that you were comparing 858 separate
SNPs when there apparently are 1418 Y SNPs on the Illumina chip as per the
file at http://www.m222.net/deCODE-Illumina-SNPS_Y-mtDNA.xls? Why is there
a discrepancy as to the total number of SNPs tested? Are some of the rs
numbers in that file not actually Y SNPs?
Sincerely,
Tim Janzen