From: Cakebread <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Which haplogroup was in western Europe first?
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 21:26:42 +0100

Hi Marleen
Not sure if we can link mtDNA haplogroups to the Rhesus or ABO blood systems since the blood groups can be passed on by males or females.
It does tell us something about migration patterns though. "IF" you inherited your Rh-negative blood from your Maternal great grandmother, and she was saami then i would also expect her to be blood group A over any others as this can be 40% plus in the Saami areas.

What was her ABO group?

For example Blood group A is found in western Japan in unusually High percentages. It must mean that blood group "A" people settled there in fairly large numbers. There blood group survived even though there (perhaps) different haplogroups didn't.

I think blood groups could be a useful tool that we have not made the most of yet in Genetic Genealogy.

btw when i said 60% of Basques are rh- that does not mean that they are Rh-. I think the actually percentage of basques being Rh- is about one third of the population (or less)

> Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 07:59:28 -0700> From: > To: > Subject: Re: [DNA] Which haplogroup was in western Europe first?> > Since we have this small thread on blood groups, what can be concluded > from my Haplogroup V, and AB rh- blood type.> > May maternal great-grandmother was, I believe, from Saxony, Germany. I > know almost nothing about her. Because of proximity, I have assumed she > was probably from the Saami of Finland, rather than the Basques of Spain.> > Anyone have thought on this particular ancestry.> > Marleen Van Horne> > > -------------------------------> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
The next generation of Windows Live is here
http://www.windowslive.co.uk/get-live

This thread: