From: "David Dugas" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] French Paper on Lands End
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 11:00:23 -0400

Hi Ken:

Here is a translation of the abstract:

"Results: In western Europe the majority haplogroup is R1, defined by
marker M173. An analysis of this polymorphism permits us to state R1 is
represented by 87.93% of the population of Finistere. Markers SRY10831.2
and P25 permit us to refine the tree structure and reveal a preponderance of
haplogroup R1b (82%). In Total our genetic study is pabes on an analysis of
19 Y-SNP's. Also, Haplogroup I, defined by marker M170 is observed mainly
in the eastern countries of Europe, in particular Scandinavian countries, is
represented in 6.03% of the population of Finistere. Haplogroup E3b,
characteristic of populations of Africa and Asia Minor is found in 1.15% of
our sample. Haplogroups G and J, representative of populations of the
Middle East, were observed respectively in frequencies of 1.15% and 3.16% in
the department of Finistere. It is interesting to note that these
haplogroups, characteristic of Asia Minor are exclusively found on the
costal regions of the department. This observation suggests that the Breton
ports have contributed to the genetic heterogeneity of Finistere favouring
migratory movements to Bretagne.

Conclusion: A study of Y STR markers on our sample make it possible to
extract a majority haplotype found in Ireland and within Mediterranean
populations (Spain, Italy, Portugal). The analysis of the Y-SNPs markers
makes it possible to confirm the prevalence of the haplogroupe R1b, the
majority in Western Europe. The presence of the haplogroupes I, J and G in
the population of Finistere is the evidence of migrations of indo-european
populations towards Western Europe. The migratory events, highlighted by the
analysis of the Y chromosome, are in correlation with the historical context
of Brittany."

I find the comment on finding haplogroups G and J being found only in the
port cities very interesting. I am a French Canadian "Haplogroup J", but
from south western France. I have studied parish records of some of these
port cities and during the XVIth century, they were filled with migrants
from Spain. Many adopted local surnames, called dit names and their
original Spanish names eventually were dropped.

David