From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] age of U152/S28
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 07:34:58 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jacques Beaugrand" <>

Ken & David et al

On last April 5 2008 I have made an estimate of the age of S28 using the
available data at the time.
I am not at all sure of the validity of this result.

Based upon 67 markers and using the Chandler & Little formula with 30 years
per generation I found that mutation S28
would have appeared 3080 years ago, that is 103 generations ago.

[[[[ Jacques, I don't know how you would get a date for the mutation S28?
The dating methods get a date for a MRCA of the clade seen today (actually,
the MRCA of the sample population); the S28 mutation occured at some time
before the MRCA, and that time could be hundreds of generations as well as
zero generations earlier.

In any event, using 161 haplotypes from David's site, I get a date to the
S28 MRCA of 4500 years ago (150 generations).

It would be worthwhile comparing methods/formulas. Ken ]]]]]

This thread: