From: "David Faux" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] S21/S28 Split+m223 stuff
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 12:58:08 -0700

Ken:

Try as I might I cannot see anything in the archaeological record which
would mirror an origin let alone an expansion at this time. This was The
Bronze Age, when Europe was extensively settled by a million (don't quote me
on this) or more people. The idea that there was one fellow circa 1800 BC
who spawned the whole S28+ gang just does not seem to wash. I am willing to
bet good money that one day in the mountains around the Swiss lakes they
will find a series widely scattered male skeltons from the Mesolithic who
will test S28+, and with very different YSTR values.

The bottom line is that for any computation to "work" it has to fit with the
broader context of what was going on in Europe at the time. Certainly we
know that the genetic estimate of the Niall and Genghis phenomena tallies
well with what is known historically. In the earlier years you would have
to take into account multiple back mutations (e.g., I have DYS390=25 and all
my cousins have 24 - my line will likely back mutate at some time down the
way). Generation time is a key ingredient and my take on it is that life
was short and generation intervals were also short. Anyway, your efforts
are appreciated, I just don't think that we have yet "arrived".

David K. Faux.