From: Thomas Gull <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] S21/S28 Split+m223 stuff
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 17:36:55 -0400

A Myres et al reported hot spot in Austria whose percentage is actually higher than that reported in Friesland. And the mapping data we have so far on individuals tested U106+ actually shows more confirmed individuals in southwest Germany and northern Switzerland than anywhere else except the UK. This runs counter to what everyone expected to see even in the first mapped datapoints, which was a concentration in northern Germany and northern Netherlands. So the predictive value of the "northern hypothesis" has been problematic to date.

Any or all of these current patterns might change later as they might be due to sampling bias. But the total samples for the high Norway / Friesland percentage reports are actually quite small, too. Phrased another way, the "northern" conclusion is largely reached by selectively deciding which data to accept and which data to ignore as opposed to accepting it all. If we were to go by raw data alone without assuming specific sampling biases, we'd probably be looking at the UK as the S21 origin point! Everyone seems to hate that possibility <g>.

/ Tom> Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 13:55:11 -0700> From: > To: > Subject: Re: [DNA] S21/S28 Split+m223 stuff> > > From: Thomas Gull <>> > > > As a side note, I think it's far from proven that S21> > originated as a northern clade. Some evidence suggests it,> > other evidence contradicts that. > > I suppose the evidence that supports the origin of S21+ in northern Europe is that northern Europe is where S21+ is most common. What is the evidence that contradicts it?> > Jim Turner> > > > > -------------------------------> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

This thread: