From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Iberian S116+
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 15:32:45 -0500

This US Census web site has a table of estimates of historical world
population:

http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/worldhis.html

Estimates up to 3000 B.C. range no higher than 20 million. In contrast,
estimates for 400 B.C. and later never fall below 150 million. In other
words, the population growth during that interval was so phenomenal that a
majority subpopulation in 3000 B.C. could have enjoyed a mild numerical
increase yet still have ended up a small minority by 400 B.C.

> [mailto:] On Behalf Of ellen Levy
> If the population of Mesolithic hunter-gatherers
> was relatively small and the incoming population as big or
> possible bigger, coupled with the reproductive advantage
> confered by agricultural settlement and the ability to have
> very large families that spread quickly via land and sea, I'm
> not sure that a large scale replacement had to have occurred
> for a scenario of Neolithic entry to be viable.

This thread: