From: Beth Long <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] How could we tell?
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 02:01:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Martin,

In my own project (Bukovina Hungarian), we have two people out of 113 who do not match where they were expected to:

One is a case of fourth cousins, on paper at least.

One of the two men is in his twenties, and the other in his eighties. We are going to test some second cousins to see if we can find out where the disconnect occurred, but I will bet that the younger man is the "odd one out".

He is one of the very few young people that we have in the project. In general, I try to find the oldest living male for each surname we are testing.

The second case involves an ancestor born in the mid-1800s who appears as legitimate in the church records (but was born eight months after the "parents" marriage). On inspection of the marriage record, the groom was in his 60s (it was his second marriage), and the bride in her early 20s. It appears the bride was already pregnant by someone else when they married, and we know his surname, too (because the project member exactly matches two men in the project of a different surname). Quite possibly the husband was aware of it, but not unhappy to have another child, as children were not regarded as a liability in that culture. In any case, he gave the baby his name.

So that's two out of 113 (with unexpected results) I don't count the three cases of known illegitimate births (no father listed on the birth record) In two of the three, we have solved the mystery via DNA.

Beth Long

Martin Potter <> wrote:

Thanks, Diana. Eight percent! Wow. It sounds high but I don't
dispute your finding. I had been led to expect "2-5%" but clearly I
will have to be prepared for a higher rate. Forewarned is forearmed.
... Martin

This thread: