From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Dating of R-M269 and Subclades
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:42:17 -0500

This reminds me of the famous chromosome counting fiasco that continued for
several decades in biology. A 1923 article claimed that humans had 48
chromosomes. For several decades, every biologist swore that he could count
all 48 of them! Only in 1956 did one researcher boldly proclaim that the
emperor had no clothes--or rather, he had only 46 chromosomes. Suddenly
everyone else in the field had to admit that they had been fooling
themselves for decades.

> [mailto:] On Behalf Of Thomas Gull
> Ignoring it seems
> kind of like ignoring the microscope because it provides a
> different and seemingly contradictory view of the world
> versus our Mark I eyeball.

This thread: