From: "David Faux" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 9RA Autosomal Native American Marker
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 09:44:22 -0700

Excellent point Ann. The only reason that I opt to consider the 19 variant
in an IBD category is its distribution which is not random. It follows a
straight line with no deviations from a single Muslim African tribe to the
Arab populations of regions near the Himalayas to Tibet into China, Inner
Mongolia, then Yakut and Mongolia. From there the only other populations
(it does not occur in any European population tested) are Native American
and the distribution is T shaped and may reflect a migration path here too.
Very interesting distribution which became apparent when I connected the
dots for each population where the 19 variant shows itself. Indeed it could
be a private mutation in one of my European ancestors but there is as yet no
evidence that this variant occurs in this population.

Yes, if we could recover the hapolotype block and test the folks in
the sample group we would know if it is IBD or IBS. The patterning of the
distribution gives me clues. The Sioux originate among the Catawba
population of the Carolinas. The Mohawks (my known NA ancestors) adopted
numerous Catawba people into the tribe each spring when they made their
forays into that territory to settle old scores (old tradiions die hard).
Anyway, the Mohawk could also have this variant but were not tested so who
knows.

David K. Faux.