From: Vincent Vizachero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Age of R1b
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 15:08:33 -0400

On Sep 6, 2008, at 12:03 PM, Anatole Klyosov wrote:

> What is a connection between the var numbers and an average
> mutation number
> per marker?

The standard approach would to divide the variance by the sum of
mutation rates to arrive at a TMRCA estimate. For example, if the 24
markers each had a mutation rate of 0.002 then the sum would be
0.048. If the variance is 20, then 20/.048 = 416 generations to MRCA.

> Is it for 24 markers out of 37? I presume you eliminated 13 "fast" or
> otherwise "less reliable" markers. Which ones?

I eliminated only the multi-copy markers from the 37 used by FTDNA.
So DYS385, DYS459, DYS464, YCAII, CDY were omitted. That leaves 25,
so one more was left out. I don't have the file with me now, but it
probably was DYS389-2 omitted. Normally I just adjust it so as to
not double count DYS389-1, but maybe this time I simply omitted it.
But otherwise the fast markers were included.

VV

This thread: