From: "Raymond Whritenour" <>
Subject: [DNA] 9RA autosomal Native American marker
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 11:01:32 -0400

Not really, Anders. Someone either has Native American ancestors, or they don't. The AncestrybyDNA BGA test purports to indicate the test-taker's likelihood of having such ancestry. A D9S919 9RA marker actually tells the test-taker that he or she *does* have NA ancestry (after ruling out "Beringian" ancestry). People with NA ancestry should test positive for that ancestry, by whatever tests are devised. In a group of 100 people whose average result is 10% NA, by the BGA test, about 3 of them *should* test positive for the 9RA marker. If this does not happen, then the value of BGA tests could be called seriously into question. Of course, if this *does* happen, then one might have more confidence in finding some value in the BGA tests.

Ray Whritenour