From: "Elizabeth O'Donoghue" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] What shall R1b1c call themselves now?
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 18:46:49 +0100

Ken, you are correct - that my opinion is completely uninformed insofar as I
have no formal training in statistics and probabilities. I do realize that
those in the biz had devoted immeasurable hours in developing those
quantitative tools, without which we'd have no idea at all. But they are
only the facts as is known at the time. Scientific truths are continually
being amended and changed, albeit often with great reluctance by those who
originated them. I am suggesting that since we cannot go back in time and
verify anything past a genealogical time frame, from those who are fortunate
enough to be able to trace 9th cousins or similar distances, that we may
never know for sure whether the formulas used are adequate, no matter how
well tested and researched they may be. It's not meant as a criticism at
all, just an unfortunate probability, again, in my humble opinion.

I would welcome further comment on my later points if you wish.

Thank you. Elizabeth