From: Steve Trangsrud <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Norwegian Surnames
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 21:54:56 -0700

To add to what Diana said. It's doubtful that you would find any
Norwegian records on the name "Even Mathiason Evenson". Most likely it
would be something like Even Mathiasen. His father would be listed as
something like Mathias Evensen. You might also see his last name spelled
Matiasen, Mathiesen, Mathisen, Mattisen, Mattsen, Math├Žusen, .............

Here is a webpage on Norwegian words and spelling for Genealogy:
Norway Research Guidance v2.0
<http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rg.asp?Dest=G1&Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab=&Entry=&Guide=WLNorway.ASP>;

This site has the 1801, 1865, & 1900 Census records you can search. They
are in the process of photographing the church records. Digitalarkivet
<http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar&spraak=e>;

Also
'How to trace your ancestors in Norway' :
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/sab/howto.html
&
'10 Tips for Norwegian Genealogy Research on Internet' :
http://www.disnorge.no/dn/fagstoff/slektsforskning/nybegynner/titips/english.html

Steve