From: Alan R <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] European pale skin only 6000 years old? [Vitamin D levels]
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 14:00:44 +0000 (GMT)

The thing is, it has come clear from recent chemical analysis on Neolithic human bones that even those around the coast in many areas totally gave up on marine sources when farming first arrived.  It may be due to a change in population and certainly seems to have been a  status thing.  Marine products were apparently suddenly seen as socially unacceptable even if this seems a crazy thing to do.  The Neolithic people seem to have had a fixed ancestral template of the economy that initially seemed to ignore the local environment. I think this Early Neolithic rigidity only slowly reduced and it took many centuries before marine resources were again slowly pragmatically reintroduced in areas where that is sensible.  That would certainly have created a period where vitamin D may have been a problem.  I realise there were some areas where the Neolithic didn't arrive like a line in the sand, e.g. the East Baltic area where farming was only taken
up very very slowly over millenia, probably by the native hunter-gatherers.

Alan

Anders said
This would be a problem for inland people, but for stone age cultures living mostly on marine diet (full of vitamin D) wouldnt have the need for adapting pale skinn.

This thread: