From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] TRMCA for R1b1
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:02:52 -0600

That's not conclusive. Over the years, FTDNA's backbone test has switched
between levels of precision. My project, too, has plenty of men who were
backbone-tested for SRY10831.2, and classified in green as R1a, but turned
out later in a DeepSNP or Deep Clade test to be R1a1*. Other haplogroups,
too, have been backbone-tested to varying levels of precision over the
years, notably R1b1 (P25) vs. R1b1b2 (M269).

I do sometimes wonder about _recent_ cases in which FTDNA has chosen a less
precise test. For example, I have SRY10831.2- men tested on 2/20/08 and
1/30/08, and a P25+ tested on 1/30/08.

Your project member does have DYS392=10, and is 4 steps away from everyone
else on Ysearch, which gives me a glimmer of hope that he might be the rare
R1a*.

> [mailto:] On Behalf Of Beth Long
> Well, his "R1a" is in green (not red) on the FTDNA results
> chart And he is R1a, while all the others are R1a1 (whether
> in red or green).
>
> He got only a "backbone" SNP test, namely, he is SRY10831.2-

This thread: