From: "David Faux" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] X Chromsome Block Party - Potentially as Informative asmt and Y DNA
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:43:48 -0800

There are four "blocks on the go" at the moment - at dna-forums.

Kathy has flagged two.

Here is a link to one that I located near the centromere in a region that is
highly conserved - so much so that there are only 3 haplotypes discovered in
a 5 million base segment of 24 SNPs (wedged between two genes) so far, but
many with SNP changes (unlike what is typically seen in haploblocks along
the arms of the X).

http://davidkfaux.org/X_Haploblock_3_Centromere.htm

The output of another haploblock, which I chose because the decodeme browser
said that it is almost exclusively found in Asians is a string of
34 SNPs embedded in a matrix of 600,000 bases. Here is the URL (first draft
only as is the above):

http://davidkfaux.org/X_Haploblock_2.htm

While a Turkish idividual matched me 34/34, so did someone with materal
ancestry in southern France. There are three times as many haplotypes
as seen in the above and they are considerably more variable suggesting that
a great deal more crossing over behavior has influenced these markers in
hitching a ride.

Anyway, something to ponder - it will be at least two months before I can
get up to any sort of "speed" via reading the literature and learning how to
use a program called PHASE. Anders and Ann have a great head start in this
so I am going to use the sprinting skills that were identified by 23andme
and see if I can forge ahead at a rapid pace (being retired will help
immensely!!).

David K. Faux.