From: "Walter S. Gabennesch" <>
Subject: [DNA] Deep Clade SNP Test-E1b1a8a and Nigerian Man E1b1a8a1
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 15:23:40 -0500

I need an explanation of the difference between my E1b1a Haplogroup Deep Clade tested result of E1b1a8a (P277+,P278+,P209+,U290-) and that of 23andMe's Nigerian Man's E1b1a8a1 (U290+). The only difference in my test and Nigerian Man, as posted on Squecco's list, is the mutation showing he is E1b1a8a1 at rs16980406 and a few "no calls".

This is from Wikipedia Nigeria:

The Benue-Cross River area, in Nigeria, is thought to be the original homeland of the Bantu migrants who spread across most of central and southern Africa in waves between the 1st millennium BCE and the 2nd millennium CE.

Does this mean my genetic Y-chromosome E Sub-Clade E1b1a8a designated line left the line of Nigerian Man before he reached Nigeria?? Does it mean that Nigerian Man's E1b1a8a1 line originated in the Benue-Cross River area? Does our E1b1a Haplogroup Sub-Clade difference give any information to a specific designation of, or relationship to, time?

What does it mean? A grateful thanks for any help you can give!

Walt Gabennesch

This thread: