From: "Lancaster-Boon" <>
Subject: [DNA] Into Netherlands?
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 07:34:35 +0100

Hi Daniel, Ken

" was pretty much under the umbrella of the Frankish Empire."

I don't think you can generalize about the area like this. The southern part
of the area Ken named was already becoming Frankish at this time, though
there was not yet a Frankish empire.

But Frisia was still not under Frankish power until the time of Charlemagne
I believe, around 800.

"My best guess is that the Belgium area was now more influenced by French"

That is a confusing statement for this period. A big part of what became
Belgium was at this time the core of the developing Salian nation, which
would become the core of the Frankish empire. Try Googling Toxandria. So
this area was breaking off from Gaul, and in turn starting to influence
Gaul.

Coming back to Ken's question, the Toxandrian area in the southeast of the
area Ken named had been taking immigrants from the east, modern Germany,
since before Caesar. The North, for example Frisia, and the coast, including
the coast of Belgium, had been receiving coast hopping Germanic from the
direction of Scandinavia since some point during the Roman empire.

Concerning the admixture between Gaulo-Romans and newcomers, this would of
course partly depend on birthrates of the two groups.

Best Regards
Andrew

---------