From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Gender attraction and Genetics - forwarded msg
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 23:46:01 -0400

Henry Bookout (who I don't know) asked me to forward this to the list,
as his attempt to post it didn't go through:
Jonathan, Max, Raymond, and Bonnie,

The sorry welcome Don May's reasonable questions got on this
genealogy-dna list-serve made me ashamed of being subscribed to it. I am
glad the thread is now being followed in a more scientific (and
compassionate) spirit.

Here is a link that I got from here (don't remember when or where
exactly) that apparently few on the list read, marked, learned, or
inwardly digested. It is authoritative, witty, superbly written, and
reasoned to the hilt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/11/magazine/11Genome-t.html?r=2&pagewanted=1&sq=pinker&st=cse&scp=1

Begin on page 2, the 7th paragraph down where Steven Pinker writes,

"The most prominent finding of behavioral genetics has been summarized
by the psychologist Eric Turkheimer: 'The nature-nurture debate is over.
. . . All human behavioral traits are heritable.' By this he meant that
a substantial fraction of the variation among individuals within a
culture can be linked to variation in their genes."

The following pages after page 2 provide caveats but leave the reader
with the same impression.

Henry

This thread: