From: Jonathan Day <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Searching Ysearch
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:17:37 -0700 (PDT)

YSearch (pronounced "Why Bother") seems to suffer horribly from timeout issues, latency and all-round lousy coding, which is one major reason you won't get results for things like surnames unless the site is practically idle or the surname is exceptionally rare.

In addition to being horribly broken, if it supports advanced markers it doesn't support any I know of. It certainly has no capacity to handle Kittler Test results. This means that you may well get false negatives on those occasions you can coax it into giving results.

It should be very simple to fix YSearch and make it a superb and highly-reliable system, but I'm not seeing much effort in this direction.