From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Fwd: New Matches Found for your DNA Test Results
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 19:59:13 -0500

None were in Pitt. The Gillespies are the only close match I have found.
However, you can often find bastardy cases in court orders. I have found a
case in Mecklenburg County VA. The county magistrates were not so much
interested in the morality of the case. Rather, they wanted to make sure the
children would not become an expense to the county. They are very hard to
use unless they have been transcribed. In the 1800s, there will often be a
bastardy bond in NC. They have been abstracted in a book. Unfortunately,
many were destroyed at the Archives by family members.

Often, it is best to try to pin down the time when the NPE occurred. You
first determine the ancestral haplotype by testing descendants of various
sons of the progenitor until there is a match on all markers. Likewise for
the other family. If the NPE occurred before the available documentation,
there is not anything you can do. Otherwise, you split the line with the NPE
by testing someone halfway down. Then, depending on results, you test
someone 1/4 or 3/4 down and so forth until you pin down the generation as
near as possible. At this point, the paper search becomes more manageable.

Bob Stafford