From: "Elizabeth O'Donoghue" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] volunteers from northwest Wales sought for DNA study
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 17:45:05 +0100

Ann suggested that:

At a guess, they might be referring to the paper by Weale, which found a
high percentage of haplogroup "21" (now haplogroup E-something) in Abergele.

(My main memory of that article was the huge difference between two towns in

The chief investigator Bob Johnston is involved in the archaeology of the
Aber valley.

The Wikipedia article about Abergele attributes the haplogroup E
concentration to Roman times.

Ann Turner

I contacted them at out of curiosity and got
this reply:

Dear Elizabeth

Thanks for your email, and interest in our research project. We are
following up on the Weale study (Mol. Biol. Evol. 19(7):1008-1021. 2002)
which reported a much higher than average number of E3b individuals in
Abergele. We are interested in the possibility that these may be linked to
the Bronze age copper mines nearby, but obviously this is just one
possibility. The first step is to see if we can replicate the findings of
the 2002 study in a much larger sample.

Best Regards,

This thread: