From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: [DNA] NPE
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 10:12:17 -0400

I don't believe people assume an NPE means an out-of-wedlock birth. I certainly
don't. It just as likely means an undetected adoption or an undetected
stepchild (failure to detect the prior marriage of a spouse).

The problem with coining your own acronym (NPS) is that people won't know what
you mean by it, unless you explain it every time you use it, which rather
defeats the efficiency of using an acronym. NPE is well-entrenched and widely
understood, desirable traits in a technical term.
http://dgmweb.net/genealogy/DNA/NPE_Resolutions.shtml

We've discussed alternate acronyms for NPE on the list before (search the list
archive on NPE). No other acronym has yet succeeded in supplanting NPE. If
"non-paternal event" bothers you, perhaps the workaround is to forget the
meaning of the words and just think of NPE as the letters, "N-P-E." How often
do you think, "single nucleotide polymorphism" when you type or say, SNP?

Diana

P.S. "NPS" would not work if the biological father is of the same surname as
the paper father.

This thread: