From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] NPE
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 19:48:26 -0600

> Don't worry; that string of alternating numbers and letters should
> terminate
> after 40 or 50 symbols. The tree leading to the surviving 3 billion males
> on earth can't stand much more than that many node divisions.
>
> I'm I1* so have no worries for awhile.
>
> Even now that that I1 full sequence has been published? I guess that I
> should not expect to hear about any new SNPs for my I1-AS5 line to test
> anytime soon, unless that I1 WTY pool has been making progress since I
> last checked.
>
> Kirsten

A single I1 full sequence is nice if we get something more. But by itself
it doesn't tell us anything about I1. It does however give a decent
estimate of the average mutation rate across all 27 million nucleotide sites
of the y. And it seems about what people have been assuming; m = 2 / 100
million. This is based on 2460 snps differing from HUGO.

There has been no word yet from the walk the y projects ahead of the I1 in
the Q --- such as I2/I2a2 and I2b1*

Ken

This thread: