From: "Jim Cullen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Celiac disease
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 10:51:41 -0400

Hi Tim!
I would, in general, agree with this opinion. It is true
that predisposition to disease would correlate with
autosomnal genes. However, I would point out that
the 'junk' DNA in the Y-chromosome has, for quite a
while now, been suspected of playing a larger role in
the function of other genes - in the regulation and the
modification of gene function. I would wonder then if
some of these modifications of gene function may have
some medical implications?

You're the doctor here so you would have a much better
grasp on the concepts. If 'junk' DNA within the Y chrom-
osome can regulate gene functions at other locations in
other genes through modification or alteration of gene
expression, might that have some medical implications
that could correlate with the Y-DNA haplogroup?

Some experimentation has been done on this, the latest
I've read about is an article at ScienceDaily regarding
the altering of the 'junk' DNA in a pond organism called
Oxytricha. The article can be read here:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090520140408.htm

I would not at all be surprised if 'junk' DNA within the
Y-chromosome does in fact play such a role in humans.
The last discussion of this kind on the list was regarding
effectiveness of medical treatment of HIV in Haplogroup I.

How widespread and significant the effects of 'junk' DNA
may be within the human genome is another question of
course but, I wouldn't rule out some interesting discoveries
in the near future.

Jim Cullen

a very good (and relevant) quote-
Richard P. Feynman: "Nature uses only the longest threads
to weave her patterns, so each small piece of her fabric
reveals the organization of the entire tapestry."

> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 22:30:14 -0700
> From: "Tim Janzen" <>
> Subject: Re: [DNA] Celiac disease
> To: <>
>
> Dear All,
> I agree with Richard on this. People who get celiac disease
> generally have a predisposition due to autosomal genes. The disease has
> nothing to do with Y haplogroups.
> Sincerely,
> Tim Janzen MD

This thread: