From: "Jim Cullen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Celiac disease
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 14:35:14 -0400

Richard,
Celiac disease specifically, and I should have been more
clear, would not be an ideal example of a disease that
a given Y-DNA haplogroup would be more predisposed
to. You are correct in the point you've made. The view I
expressed would not apply well to Celiac disease. The idea
of possible medical implications of Y-DNA haplogroup
though is something I believe may have a valid scientific
basis. Such a phenomena would indeed be apparent in the
male line. Sorry for not being more clear there.

One example is the 'Cullen' mark, noted in my family for
many generations. It has been correlated with a mutation on
chromosome nine, affecting the formation of fine blood vessels
just beneath the skin. The Cullen mark is a small strawberry
patch on the back of the neck, just within the hairline. It is
passed along the male line. While Cullen daughters MAY have
this mark ( such as my sister ), they usually do not pass it on
to their children. Other families have this mark as well... one
I recall is the Brown family in Ireland (?) and is said to be a
trait of a few families of Scottish descent, also a male-line
feature. Now if I only had the haplogroup information to go
with that! My haplogroup is I-L38, current I2b2, and known
affectionately as 'Lichtensteiner'. I wouldn't say the strawberry
mark is an I-L38 feature related to its specific 'junk' DNA
though, unless the Y-DNA of these families shared some odd
quirk. Interesting stuff.

Jim Cullen

> Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 10:07:49 -0700
> From: "RICHARD KENYON" <>
> Subject: Re: [DNA] Celiac disease
> To: <>
>
> "Junk DNA" and Celiac disease? From what I read, the disease is more
> prevalent in women than men. Do you think women have "junk DNA"?

This thread: