From: Jim T <>
Subject: [DNA] Lactase persistance started about 7,500 years ago in central Europe
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:49:02 -0700 (PDT)

See this new article:
http://tinyurl.com/lcdbd5
http://tinyurl.com/l37g5n

"In Europe, a single genetic variant, −13,910*T, is strongly associated with lactase persistence and appears to have been favoured by natural selection in the last 10,000 years. Since adult consumption of fresh milk was only possible after the domestication of animals, it is likely that lactase persistence coevolved with the cultural practice of dairying, although it is not known when lactase persistence first arose in Europe or what factors drove its rapid spread. To address these questions, we have developed a simulation model of the spread of lactase persistence, dairying, and farmers in Europe, and have integrated genetic and archaeological data using newly developed statistical approaches. We infer that lactase persistence/dairying coevolution began around 7,500 years ago between the central Balkans and central Europe, probably among people of the Linearbandkeramik culture."

Jim Turner

This thread: