From: "Roberta Estes" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 23andMe and Proving Native Ancestry
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:07:10 -0400

David,

In regards to haplogroup C (ydna) and migration patterns, I was surprised to
find that the AcadianIndian project has only haplogroup C folks. Some of
these people are "card carrying" tribal members. They have no haplogroup Q,
which would be by ar the expected haplogroup to find in that region. Given
that the Micmac were Algonquian speakers, and so were many of the tribes on
the Eastern seaboard area of the US (at first contact), especially in the
northern half from NC/VA northward, I would expect then to see some C in
that area as well if hap C is to be found among the same ancestral group,
but from the work I just did relative to a compilation of all of the data
for a Lost Colony analysis, there is no haplogroup C in that area.

So yes, something happened and we don't yet see the entire picture.

Roberta

You wrote:

There is now some discussion about the C3 group (Y-DNA) having arrived in
the Central Plains much later (c. 8 k ybp) than the Q dominated initial
group (c. 14 k ybp).
The entire migration situation may be much more complicated or different
than our conceptualizations to date. It appears by the archaeological and
morphological record that in North American the C3 group (e.g., Plano group)
may have largely replaced the earlier group (e.g., Clovis group). They
likely brought autosomal and x sequences that are not today found in South
America. Hence the only way we are going to see them, if there was a
founder effect involving a second migration that did not reach South
America, is by collection of reference samples from North America.

There is also the region flanking the Xibo block toward the telomeric area.
As you know it is about 12 Mb and does not match any group, no matter how
low you set the bar. It would make sense that this is a rare block, due to
a founder effect and like mtDNA X2a is perhaps only to be found in the Great
Lakes region - not elsewhere in the Americas or in Asia. If found in NA of
the central regions of North America only, then as with the otherwise
mysterious X2a, it is NA. I don't see how one could "unearth" this data any
other way than collecting reference samples from the few regions where it is
likely to be found.

This thread: