From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 23andMe forces unsafe web interaction?
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:52:33 -0400

Larry wrote:
> What I meant was that in order to send a sharing invitation, one must know
> the other's email address. A couple days ago, I was able to send a sharing
> invitation simply by knowing the other's username; but I can no longer do
> that.
Well, I just sent two sharing invitations without knowing their email
addresses (both were accepted within the hour). How? I did a search
on a text string (a person's username or a word in their profile), and
then clicked on one of the hits. On his profile page there's a link
saying "invite _____ to share genomes." That's it. . . please explain
how your process was different.

Likewise, I checked the profiles of some people with whom my dad is
sharing genomes. . . no email address shown there, whether at basic or
extended level. Please explain where you saw the email address.

Ah, look at this. On your profile page, you have a series of
check-boxes. The one by your name says:

Name: [______________] Learn more about privacy.
(Checking this box makes your name and email address searchable by other
members.)

Having your email address be searchable is different from making it
visible. Also, it's normal to be searchable by your email address at
Facebook. Yet you can easily ensure that only your friends can see it,
or no one at all.

> I have already received one death threat in the middle of the night. I do
> not care for more. Exposing oneself to strangers, in the vain hope that
> _all_ of them are virtuous and will not try to harm you, is not just
> foolish, it's downright dangerous.
When you talk about death threats, I'm sure that will scare some
newbie. Aren't you talking about something that happened in your life
without any relation to 23andMe?

Since I have never received any such threats, I'm going to continue to
make our family searchable at 23andMe. My name and email address have
already been all over the Rootsweb archives, as are yours, and they are
publicly searchable there.

Bonnie

This thread: