From: Thomas Krahn <>
Subject: [DNA] ytree.ftdna.com
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 19:16:29 -0500

List,

After some time I got tired drawing Y chromosome SNP trees with graphics
programs and I also wanted to get something where I can search for
haplogroup names and SNP names in a plain HTML document with the search
function in my browser.

That's why two weeks ago I started to code a database driven tree
software that can display and edit the Y chromosome tree and that logs
all the changes to the phylogeny in a database. To be honest I found
already a basic backbone structure software at http://treeeditor.com .
However there where many parts missing so I modified the code to our needs.

You can have a look at http://ytree.ftdna.com to see it working in the
"alpha version". I don't give any warranty that all data are correct
yet. However you are welcome to check it out and get the picture about
the philosophy behind this project.

When you first come to the web page it will display the full YCC tree as
it is printed on the posters that we distributed at the last FTDNA
conference at the beginning of this year. The nodes of the tree are
entirely based on the marker names and the haplogroup names are only
pulled out from a database table since they are expected to change over
time. Wherever there is a difference between the YCC and ISOGG
nomenclature the ISOGG haplogroup name is displayed next to it. You'll
still see a few quirks with this but I'm working to get them cleared out.

Whenever you click on a node with the "root" symbol, this will open a
new sub-tree which focuses on the branches below this new root. The URL
for this sub-tree can be bookmarked so that you can quickly focus on the
part of the tree that you are interested in. The marker names are linked
to the ymap Y chromosome map. I'm thinking about a way to get a link
back from ymap to ytree as well but I can't imagine how it should work
in detail right now. I'm open for suggestions.

On the top of the page you can always switch back and forth between the
YCC tree and my most current Draft tree which includes the most recent
SNPs discovered from the WTY project or from elsewhere. The nodes that
have changed are marked with a little yellow star which will gray out
the older the last change gets. So the newest changes will always appear
in bright yellow. If you hover your mouse above a star you can see the
days that have passed since the last change was done. Clicking on the
star will brig you to a table that lists all the changes that have been
recorded for this node.

I'd be happy to hear your comments and suggestions. Of course if you see
an error please report it to me so that I can fix it. Hopefully this
Ytree will be a helpful tool and not make more confusion about
nomenclature and unresolved branches. In any case I felt that I need
this tool by myself to keep track of the rapidly changing phylogenies
with the new markers that are discovered recently.

I hope this helps,

Thomas

This thread: