From: Michael Walsh <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R-L21 Plus news - downstream branches to be better defined
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:59:43 -0600

---> My response:
Tel,

The assumptive qualifier to my statement (R1b1b2 need to test to 67
markers) is that you are still searching. If you've found the
relatives you are interested in and are not interested in deep
ancestry then you don't need genetic testing for genealogical or
ancient clan discovery types of purposes.

A 22 of 25 and even, although rarely, a 25 of 25, could be a false
match. If you already have the genealogical records, great you are
done, but if you don't then how do you know it is a true match or a
false match?

How do you know there is not another distant relative out there? If
you are not interested you are done. If you are interested, deeper
testing is needed and perhaps recruiting as well.

Mike

---> tel <> wrote:
This is true of some but by no means all R1b1b2. My father has no
false matches even at the 22/25 level.

----> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 7:27 PM, M.Walsh> wrote:
> A number of genealogical geneticists have already indicated that at
> least 67 markers are needed to discern between R1b1b2 people. Most
> notable, probably, is Dr. Michael Hammer's statements to this effect
> this March. The problem is that R1b1b2 people's haplotypes look very
> much alike so more markers are needed to differentiate between people.
> There are cases of 25 of 25 or 35 of 37 matches that turned out to be
> in totally different sub-clades of R1b1b2.

This thread: