From: (John Chandler)
Subject: Re: [DNA] Using P25 to make time estimates of R1b lineages
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 18:14:21 -0500

Andrew wrote:
> I would think most RecLOH's are useful as UEP-lites (for example a change to
> DYS464X cccc in R1b), and indeed in genealogy don't we use UEPs mainly only
> in a negative way?

True, but note the problem with so-called UEPs for genealogy: they can
only be "useful" to confirm what is already known by other means. For
example, if a battery of STR tests shows that two men are almost surely
connected within the past 2000 years, but a UEP test supposedly says
that they cannot possibly be connected within the past 5000 years, the
inescapable conclusion is that the UEP test suffered from a lab error,
or conceivably uncovered a parallel mutation.

John Chandler

This thread: