Subject: [DNA] PubMed abstract: population structure in NH reveals EasternEuropean ancestry
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 11:51:09 EST

PLoS One. 2009 Sep 7;4(9):e6928.

Genetic population structure analysis in New Hampshire reveals Eastern
European ancestry.

Sloan CD, Andrew AD, Duell EJ, Williams SM, Karagas MR, Moore JH.

Computational Genetics Laboratory, Department of Genetics, Dartmouth
Medical School, Lebanon, New Hampshire, United States of America.

Genetic structure due to ancestry has been well documented among many
divergent human populations. However, the ability to associate ancestry with
genetic substructure without using supervised clustering has not been explored
in more presumably homogeneous and admixed US populations. The goal of this
study was to determine if genetic structure could be detected in a United
States population from a single state where the individuals have mixed European
ancestry. Using Bayesian clustering with a set of 960 single nucleotide
polymorphisms (SNPs) we found evidence of population stratification in 864
individuals from New Hampshire that can be used to differentiate the population
into six distinct genetic subgroups. We then correlated self-reported
ancestry of the individuals with the Bayesian clustering results. Finnish and
Russian/Polish/Lithuanian ancestries were most notably found to be associated
with genetic substructure. The ancestral results were further explained and
substantiated using New Hampshire census data from 1870 to 1930 when the
largest waves of European immigrants came to the area. We also discerned distinct
patterns of linkage disequilibrium (LD) between the genetic groups in the
growth hormone receptor gene (GHR). To our knowledge, this is the first time
such an investigation has uncovered a strong link between genetic structure
and ancestry in what would otherwise be considered a homogenous US
population.

PMCID: PMC2734429
PMID: 19738909 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

This thread: